Easy Way Out

I'm not crafty, creative, or a great cook. This blog is just going to be some simple, inexpensive ways to tackle different things. The motto of Easy Street 2: "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without." I haven't always lived this way, but I've slowly changed over to cheap, recycling, and re-purposing. I love learning new ways to do things, so you're joining me on this journey! Failures, successes? I'll report them all!

Monday, July 16, 2012

Homemade Tartar Sauce

The son-in-law was frying fish.  L asked about Tartar Sauce.  Nope. We didn't have any.  I saw a small pout beginning.  OK.  How tough can tartar sauce be?  Come to find out, not hard at all.  And even picky L was happy!  

This comes with a warning.  I don't measure.  Yikes!!

These are the ingredients you need, and I bet you have most of them on hand:

Mayonnaise-  a cup or so (You can use light or nonfat.)
Pickle Relish-  (sweet)  a couple of tablespoons
Onions-  minced  a couple of tablespoons
Lemon Juice-  a couple of tablespoons

Mix it all together.  That's it.  Tastes just like what you buy.

A couple of things I've learned:
1.  Dill pickle relish doesn't taste as good.  (The Mr. bought dill by mistake, and I was trying to use it up. Ugh!) 
2.  The Mr. wanted hot tartar sauce.  I added hot sauce, but I never could get it to a hotness that made a difference.  Maybe jalapenos or jalapeno seeds?  Just guessing!  I haven't tried it yet.

I store it in a jelly jar or a canning jar, and it keeps for a week or so in the fridge.

I'll probably never buy tartar sauce again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment