Easy Way Out

I'm not crafty, creative, or a great cook. This blog is just going to be some simple, inexpensive ways to tackle different things. The motto of Easy Street 2: "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without." I haven't always lived this way, but I've slowly changed over to cheap, recycling, and re-purposing. I love learning new ways to do things, so you're joining me on this journey! Failures, successes? I'll report them all!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Super Easy Delicious Peach Cobbler

Back in the 60's, Mom used to make something called "Dump Cake."  She poured a can of pie filling in a square pan, sprinkled the top with a Jiffy Cake Mix straight from the package, and drizzled butter over the top of it.  She baked it for 20 minutes or so.  Super simple and quite yummy! 

I picked fresh peaches a few weeks ago.  When making peach cobbler, I decided to try a variation on Mom's Dump Cake for the crumb topping.

Again, I rarely measure anything, so I'm estimating!

Best Peach Cobbler

8-10 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup of sugar
1/4-1/2 cup of water
Cook this together on the stove, until it bubbles, then add:
1-2 Tablespoons of flour

Continue cooking and stirring until it thickens. (It will be like a pie filling consistency.)

Pour this mixture into an 8 X 8 greased pan.

Topping:
1/2 box of Yellow Cake Mix  (I can't find the Jiffy Cake Mix at our store, so I just use half of the full size.)
2 cups of Old Fashioned Oatmeal
1 Tablespoon of cinnamon

Mix this together well and sprinkle over the peach mixture in the pan.  (I like the change in texture because of the oats!)

1 stick of butter-  cut into small pieces and dot over the top of the topping mixture.  (Mom used to melt the butter and drizzle it.  It melts either way, so I eliminate this step.)

Bake in the oven on 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Dish it up by the scoop and top with whipped topping, a splash of half and half, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  It tastes great warm or cold.


If you're looking for a simple, quick peach cobbler recipe that tastes great--they don't come much better than this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment